Thursday, March 25, 2010

Our lacklustre national journey with water and sewerage

Without a doubt, there is a systemic failure in the management and distribution of safe water in Ghana. Besides, sewerage management is an albatross. Since the erstwhile Water and Sewerage Corporation was split up into the Ghana Water Company while the matter of sewerage was orphaned out to adoptive parents who do not particularly care or know much about how to manage waste, our country has been on a filthy slippery slope. Then a water marriage came into being with Aqua Viten Rand. Since then, many people continue to wait for their water promises to be fulfilled.

On World Water Day 2010 on Monday March 22, I went down memory lane to re-visit my life regarding water and sewerage. I came to a sad realization that the more things change, the more they remain the same. Let’s glean some wisdom from a Zen saying. It goes simply, but profoundly: “Before enlightenment, Chop wood, Carry water. After enlightenment, Chop wood, Carry water.”

My first memory of myself growing up was during the first decade of Ghana’s independence in Ocansey Kope, a little Ada village by the Atlantic Ocean. At the time, I chopped wood and carried water. At the time, when nature called, I promptly responded at the beach or under coconut trees where little black pigs rushed in, grunting, to pick up. I joined queues with several kids to fetch water from the only village well not far from the fetish shrine. That was before I became enlightened.

In my current state of enlightenment, here is my sorry situation. Literally, I still chop wood and carry water! This might represent your situation too! Today, I don’t live in a forgotten village or a slum. I live in a spacious house and appear to have all the trappings of civilization. If I’m to be judged by several standards, I would most likely qualify as a bit privileged. So why am I grunting over water and other matters now that Ghana is 53?

The truth of my existence with regard to water and toilets is no where far from the poverty-stricken village or slummy city suburbs. Today, I’m privileged to have a water-closet toilet. But, I don’t have water! What is the use of water-closet when you don’t have water to flush? Answer: The stuff remains in the closet! Yucky! They say that everyone has a right to a decent toilet. But without water, you can’t have a decent toilet.

Since January 4 this year, my taps have not run. My taps and bath-tub are home decorations, merely to remind me that I’m no longer in Ocansey Kope. But I am! Water is political; highly political. Months before the 2008 elections, it was announced that the water problem in my neighbourhood had been solved. With that pronouncement, water flowed regularly. Hurray! But not so fast! Soon after the elections, the water quickly dried out. I think we need to have elections frequently (annually?) to guarantee that our problems are paid the needed urgent attention.

In my enlightened state today, what has improved is that I don’t go out to fetch water, on my own tired old head. Instead, I pay someone to fetch water for me from a neighbourhood well. He joins a queue. Today, I have a bath-tub in my bathroom but I never use it for what the inventor had in mind – to be filled with water and laid in for relaxation. The well is the common denominator that links Ocansey Kope with my ‘enlightened’ life of today.

I used to buy water from 'Tutututu Boys' but have advised myself against what I consider to be a dangerous water shopping practice. I asked some of them, “What’s the source of your water for sale?” They just said something nonsensical and exclaimed, “As for you Madam paa!” Apparently, tutututu trucks are not photogenic. Not surprisingly, the Tutututu Boys resisted my attempt to take pictures of their ugly trucks. My deep thoughts of the sources of ‘tutututu’ water frighten me. I’m terrified to welcome poisonous water into my home. So now, I settle for the well water.

A year ago, someone dumped a certain something into my neighbourhood well so we abandoned it for a while, with disgust. But, without much of a choice, we’ve returned to the cursed well. We also haul water in Mills/Kufuor presidential gallons. Mine are blue, not yellow! Periodically, when I’m hard-pressed for ‘good’ water, I buy sachet water to contribute my own share of plastics into the already choked plastic wasteland called Ghana.

Throughout every year, several days are celebrated and I ignore most of them. But this year’s World Water Day hit me. On the Day, the United Nations Environment Program noted in a report entitled ‘Sick Water’, that "The sheer scale of dirty water means more people now die from contaminated and polluted water than from all forms of violence including wars."
What a frightening observation!

Our rivers are dumping grounds for waste. We drink water from these rivers either treated or untreated. Yet, it is said that water is life. To mark World Water Day of 2010, I share the following poignant quotations as food for thought.

In an assessment of America’s water resources, Lyndon B. Johnson, the 36th President of the United States, wrote the following: “A nation that fails to plan intelligently for the development and protection of its precious waters will be condemned to wither because of its short-sightedness. The hard lessons of history are clear, written on the deserted sands and ruins of once proud civilizations.” We know that our rivers are dying. By our actions, we are contributing to their death. Once they die, rivers do not resurrect. Hmmm!

Here is a quote from the United Nations Committee on Economic, Cultural and Social Rights: “Water is fundamental for life and health. The human right to water is indispensable for leading a healthy life in human dignity. It is a pre-requisite to the realization of all other human rights.” Really! So the human rights of those of us who are water-deprived and remain stuck in this troubling predicament are being violated by Ghana everyday? Wow!

I must sue the Ghana Water Company and its partner, Aqua Viten Rand for their unique impudence to bill me every month (without ever failing) for services they do not provide. My sister/friend, Nana Oye Lithur, please come to my rescue. I have a serious case of human right violation.

Finally, here is something profound for all the Bible folks, especially, those at the centre of Ghana’s super-Christian pretentiousness. In the Book of Revelation 8:10-11, John the Apostle who truly carried Christianity like a mighty cross, wrote: “The third angel sounded his trumpet, and a great star, blazing like a torch, fell from the sky on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water—the name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters turned bitter, and many people died from the waters that had become bitter.” Truly, water is life! For Ghana to survive and thrive, our water and sewerage quagmire must be resolved – by any means necessary.

No comments: